Skip to main content

Citywide Collection Unit FAQ


The Citywide Collection Unit actively pursues the recovery of monies owed to the City of Los Angeles, after individual departments have exhausted efforts to collect on delinquent accounts. Funds collected are reallocated back to City department Special Funds or to the General Fund for the provision of services to the residents of Los Angeles

Per City Ordinance, departments (excluding Harbor, Airports and DWP) refer delinquent accounts over $5,000 to the Citywide Collection Unit, where a team of investigators and support personnel work to reclaim funds for outstanding debts owed to the City, including delinquent City taxes, dishonored checks, excessive false alarm charges, permit fees, charges for illegal sign postings, DUI emergency response cost recovery, other statutory fees, restitution, graffiti removal, vandalism and recovery of court costs and judgments. In addition, the Citywide Collection Unit seeks reimbursement for damages to City property, including repairs for damage to street lights and signs, traffic signals, parking meters, trees, guard rails and City vehicles. The Citywide Collection Unit also represents the City's interests in Small Claims actions. In promoting best practices to maximize recovery of taxpayer dollars, the Citywide Collection Unit also refers select accounts to outside collection agencies.

Per City Ordinance, departments (excluding Harbor, Airports and DWP) refer delinquent accounts that are $5,000 or less directly to outside collection agencies.

For additional information regarding a Notice of Collection or for instructions on how to pay funds owed to the City of Los Angeles, contact the Citywide Collection Unit at (213) 978-7900.

Please note that if you have received a collection notice from a specific City department or a private collection agency, you should contact the specific department or collection agency directly.


What is your address?

Our address is City Hall 200 N. Spring Street, Room 1225, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

What are your business hours?

Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Can someone help me in Spanish?

If you are Spanish speaking, please call (213) 978-7900.

Si, tenemos empleados que le pueden ayudar en Espanol, llame a los siguientes telefonos (213) 978-7900.

Do you accept credit cards?

We accept the following credit cards in payment of delinquent accounts owed to the City of Los Angeles:

  • Visa
  • MasterCard

Please note that payment made by credit card may be subject to a processing fee by the service provider.

Whom can I contact to pay an outstanding parking ticket?

If you have received a delinquent notice of parking violation, contact the City's Parking Violations Bureau at (866)561-9742.

Small Claims

I have been sued in Small Claims Court by the City of Los Angeles. Whom do I contact to resolve the matter prior to the hearing date?

Call the Office of Finance, Citywide Collection Investigator's telephone number on the Claim of Plaintiff. Otherwise, contact the Citywide Collection Unit at (213) 978-7900.

Important: You must appear in Court at the designated time and place unless instructed otherwise by the Collection Unit Investigator.


My contractor's or driver's license has been suspended due to this judgment.  How do I get it reinstated?

Pay the judgment and post judgment interest in full. If payment is made in certified funds, a suspension rescission will be faxed within 48 hours to the Contractors State License Board or the Department of Motor Vehicles. You should note that these agencies generally have their own requirements before a license can be reinstated. These requirements are generally described in the suspension letter you received from them.

What if I cannot pay it in full?

You may contact the court where the judgment was entered and file a Motion for Time Payments. The DMV does not allow us to informally agree to a payment schedule. A court order is required. For assistance, contact the Small Claims Advisor at the appropriate court. The phone number for the Small Claims Advisor at the Los Angeles Superior Court, Central District, located in downtown Los Angeles is (213) 974-9759, or go to "County-Specific Court" information at:

I received a letter from a collection agency regarding a past due judgment, what do I do?

If you received a letter from a collection agency - you must contact the collection agency directly to resolve the matter or establish a payment plan.

I am an escrow company how do I get a demand letter?

Contact the Citywide Collection Unit at (213) 978-7900 to request a demand letter. The demand repay is generally provided within two business days.

I paid my judgment, when will I receive the Satisfaction of Judgment?

If you paid by certified funds, the Satisfaction will be mailed to you and filed with the Court within one week. If you paid by check, the Satisfaction will not be available until the check has cleared, which can be up to 30 days. You can check the Los Angeles Superior Court website at to verify if it has been filed.

What do I do with the Satisfaction of Judgment form?

The City of Los Angeles does not send this document to any credit reporting agency or Recorder's office for release of lien. You must provide a copy to your credit-reporting agency to have their records updated. If an Abstract of Judgment was recorded against your property, you must record this release in the counties listed on the Satisfaction of Judgment form.

Whom do I contact if I have additional questions about judgments?

Please contact the Citywide Collection Unit at (213) 978-7900.

Property Damage

Whom do I contact if I damaged City property and want to obtain a bill for the repair?

Contact the Office of Finance, Citywide Collection Unit at (213) 978-7900. If you can provide us with a copy
of the traffic collision report we may be able to expedite the billing process.

Whom do I contact to file a claim against the City?

Contact the Los Angeles City Clerk's Office at (213) 978-1133.

Can I make payment arrangements?

In most cases, we can start you on a payment plan immediately.

How can I reach the supervisor?

The supervisor can be reached at (213) 978-7900.

DUI Cost Recovery

What is DUI Emergency Response Cost Recovery?

California Government Code Section 53150-53158, and Los Angeles Administrative Code Section 22.210.4, provides public agency authority to collect fees for reimbursement of certain costs up to $12,000 for an appropriate emergency response to an alcohol/drug related traffic incident.

Why are the defendants not informed of cost recovery fees by the criminal courts?

DUI cost recovery is a civil matter and separate from criminal court proceedings.

What if the cost recovery fee is paid, and the defendant is found not guilty?

If the motorist who has paid an emergency response cost recovery bill is acquitted of criminal charges after
trial, the City will allow for reimbursement.

Why are cost recovery fees required, if court fines have already been paid?

Court ordered fines and/or penalties are imposed by criminal court jurisdictions and collected by county municipalities. The City of Los Angeles bills LAPD Cost Recovery fees, which are collected apart from the Court ordered sanctions.