Skip to main content

Home Sharing and the Transient Occupancy Tax

Posted on 07/19/2019
Decorative picture

Entrepreneurship comes in many forms, and one of the most promising industries is in home-sharing. With travel and tourism being a major part of the Los Angeles economy, providing a place to stay has become an area where homeowners and renters alike have found ample business opportunity.

In the City of Los Angeles, all those participating in home-sharing activities are required to register, collect, and remit the Transient Occupancy Tax.  Unless the applicant exclusively lists his or her primary residence on hosting platforms that have a Platform Agreement with the City of Los Angeles (like AirBnB), the applicant must be registered to pay TOT with the Office of Finance pursuant to LAMC Section 21.7.6. A transient is defined as any person who exercises occupancy or is entitled to occupancy for 30 days or less. In addition, A Transient Occupancy Tax Registration Certificate is required within 30 days of commencing business. Examples of this include:  


Vacation/Short-term Rentals of any kind (i.e. houses, condos, rooms, or spaces) rented directly by the owner/operator, by property management companies, or via internet travel services

Recreational Vehicle (RV) Parks and Campgrounds

Secondary operators (managing agent, booking agent, online sellers, agents, etc.)

The Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) must be remitted monthly. The renewal and payment is due on or before 25th of the following month. For example, TOT for July will be due by August 25th.  

New Home-Sharing Regulations

Beginning July 1, 2019, those who rent out their homes on a short-term basis must also register with the city under the Home-Sharing Ordinance. Registration is valid for one year and must be renewed annually. The application and renewal process is administered by the City of Los Angeles, Planning Department.  

To register for Home-Sharing, online applications may be completed using the Online Registration Portal ( must register for Home-Sharing before accepting short-term rental reservations.

Before applying please check that you have all the required documents. Required documents include, the home-sharing address, photo ID, proof of primary residence, and landlord approval (if-applicable). Additional information may be required and can be found at on the Planning Department’s website,

For more information on the new Homesharing Ordinance, please click here

For information on paying the Transient Occupancy Tax, please click here.